Victims of Carrollton bus crash remembered on anniversary | News
CARROLLTON, KY (WAVE) - It's been 24 years since a drunk driver crashed into a bus full of kids on I-71 killing dozens.
In 1988, Larry Mahoney drove his pickup truck the wrong way up the stretch of the interstate from Carrollton and hit the bus from The First Assembly of God in Radcliff.
It was full of children and chaperones returning from a trip to King's Island.
27 people died and 30 others were seriously hurt. Mahoney served time for the crash and has since been released.
Since then, sweeping safety changes have been made on school buses because of the crash and the fire afterward.
Copyright 2012 WAVE News. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Northeast Kentucky
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Car stopped for cracked windshield leads to drug bust
- Car filled with smoke in parking lot of gentlemen's club leads to arrest
- LMPD: Man admits role in armed robbery outside Walmart
- Woman arrested after taking Lortab before driving
- LMPD: Liquor store employee accomplice to armed robbery of business